This survey measures individual giving in terms of volunteerism and philanthropy in Singapore. Key objectives are to determine extent of individual giving of time and money, profile givers, study their behaviors and motivations, and to inform policy.
- Volunteerism rate has grown over the years, with 1 in 10 individuals (9%) volunteering in 2000 to 1 in 3 (35%) volunteeringin 2016;
- In 2016,1 in 2 volunteers (51%) have served informally (without going through any organisation) whereas 1 in 4 volunteers (25%) served informally in 2014;
- People continue to volunteer on an occasional basis (64%);
- Total volunteer hours has almost doubled from 66 million hours in 2014 to 121 million hours in 2016;
- Average volunteer hours per volunteer has dropped from 93 hours in 2014 to 84 hours in 2016.
- The 2016 donation rate 76% is a drop from 83% in 2014;
- Informal donations (donating without going through any organisation) increased to 41% from 13% in 2014;
- Most donors (59%) continue to donate occasionally;
- Total donation to organisations has almost doubled from $1.25 billion in 2014 to $2.18 billion in 2016;
- Average donation per donor has also increased over two-fold from $379 per donor to $910 per donor.