1 in 10 women in Singapore experience physical violence in their lifetime.
However, only a quarter of them report it to the police². We share why Gender Based Violence isn’t just an issue that concerns females.
- AWARE: 1800 777 5555 (Women’s hotline), 6779 0282 (Sexual Assault Centre)
- PAVE: 6555 0390
- Care Corner Project StART: 6476 1482
- TRANS SAFE Centre: 6449 9088
- SOS (24 hours daily): 1800-221-4444
- MSF Child Protective Service: 1800-777-0000
- Tinkle Friend Helpline (for Child Abuse): 1800-274-4788
- Family Service Centre (FSC):
Click here for a full list of FSCs near you.
- Star Shelter (Singapore Council of Women’s Organisations):
Address: 96 Waterloo Street, Singapore 187967 (Open 9:00am to 6:00pm, Monday to Friday)
- Centre for PAVe:
Address: Blk 211 Ang Mo Kio Ave 3 #01-1446 Singapore 560211 (Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays & Fridays: 9.00am – 6.00pm
Wednesdays: 9.00am – 9.30pm, 6.30pm – 9.30pm by appointment only)
Tel: 6555 0390
- SAFE Programme (Stop Abuse in Families):
Address: Blk 411 Bedok North Avenue 2, #01-106, Singapore 460411
Tel: 6449 0762
More resources here
1: Straits Times Article, Feb 2018. 2: INTERNATIONAL VIOLENCE AGAINST WOMEN SURVEY: FINAL REPORT ON SINGAPORE, 2010. 3:Channelnewsasia article, 2016. 4: AWARE Report, 2017. 5: PAVE: WIDENING THE DEFINITION OF DOMESTIC VIOLENCE IN THE WOMEN’S CHARTER, July 2015. 6: What Is Gender-Based Violence? StopVAW.com, 2003.
Empowering women & girls isn’t just the business of well, women. It affects all of us, no matter what our age or gender. We all have a women or girl in our life that we care about – our mum, sister, daughter, friend, colleague.